NEWS AND EVENTS

Monday, March 23, 2009

Can somebody help me out with some of the scientific aspects of my fantasy/sci-fi novel?

I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy novel that is set in another world. The technology is slightly more advanced than ours. I'm trying to make it as believable as I can, but I have a pretty good plot planned out, and it requires having a certain plot device that I am not sure about.





Just to clarify, when I say I want to make it believable, that means in the context of another world. Since this is another world it makes sense that it'd have things that we don't. It has different animals, creatures, energy, minerals, food, plants, etc.





Alright so in the story, there are these poeple (we'll call them mutants for now even though that isn't quite what they are) who are born with the ability to harness and manipulate a particular invisible "energy". They use it a lot in the plot. They can use it to hasten cell regeneration, sharpen their senses, and a few other helpful things. They can also sense when another of their kind is near (this is important to the plot). They also use it as a destructive force (in combat). It is almost like a pyrotechnic power except with the energy instead of fire.





So, my question is how can this energy just exist on the planet? How could it simply be everywhere? I don't want it to be a gas, so I guess it shouldn't be something that is just in the air. I tried to think of other things in our world that we can find everywhere, and I thought of solar energy. I thought about using that in the plot, but then I realized that a star is a star, and my world's sun couldn't be some special type of star that emits another type of energy. That is something I consider unrealistic.





Then I though, What about the moon? To my knowledge, moons can be very different and be made of different materials, so maybe one of the planet's moons could give off the energy. Would this be a believable option?





Then it hit me that it could simply be from the planet itself; like from the core or under the surface. Would this believable?





Or would the energy not really need a particular source. Could it simply be an omnipresent force that exists everywhere?





Speaking or force, maybe it could be like THE Force from Star Wars, in which the "energy" comes from something created by living things, such as one of the fictional creatures in my story.





NOTE: the energy wouldn't have to be completely everywhere. Like with the creature idea, it would only be wherever the creatures hang out, but since there are many of these creatures, the energy would be almost anywhere.





So, I've brought up a few possible choices. Is there one that sounds believable to you? Can you come up with something more believable?



I don't think you need to explain why it's there. Explaining it almost makes it less believable. It's an alien planet, therefore it allowed to be different. If anything I'd stick with the simple - it's omnipresent like the force. The energy is what is important, not its source. The people on the planent would think the energy was natural and wouldn't think anything of it. They wouldn't wonder where it came from, and neither will the reader. Just my opinion.




What about radiation? Your people can be a type of living organism that is highly resistant to radiation... maybe even need a certain high level to survive. It can come from the earth, from the moon(s), from storms, from certain microscopic organisms... Just take it and run!




How bout that there earth deep down has slight movements. They could harness those movements in big power plants and convert into energy some how? Hope u like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment