NEWS AND EVENTS

Monday, March 23, 2009

How much rent should I charge to use my home for photo shoots/films/etc?

My 14 acre property and home are very unique and beautiful with gardens, ponds, creeks, streams, old barns, fences, stone walls and old foundations etc... I was thinking of renting out the place to photographers or filmmakers. I would charge a bare minimum to help out struggling artists. I'm also in Central Pennsylvania (not a huge modeling or film market) so I have no idea what to charge? I don't want to do it for free and not because I want or need the money, but I need to charge something to keep it on a professional/business level. How do I find out what to charge?



The answer is "what the market will bear".


It really depends upon who you are dealing with, and what kind of budget they have to work with.


I have a friend who's house was used in the movie "Mississippi Burning" several years ago. He didn't tell me an exact amount, but he said he made over $150,000 after expenses.


Expenses??


Yes - he had to purchase a special liability insurance policy to protect him in case someone was injured on his property, and to insure against damage that was incurred to his home or property.


This was not cheap.


I would first check with your homeowners insurance company to see what a insurance rider would cost. Then decide on a minimum amount you would need to charge - then consider the fee to be a negotiable amount, based upon who you are dealing with.


Struggling artists are not willing to pay much, since they can find plenty of free locations. Film crews and photo shoots are more likely to consider a "location expense".


Sounds like you have a great place. Good luck.




I think you are missing the boat here. If it is as pretty or scenic as you say, you should do outdorr weddings at this locations. Charge for THAT. Allow Pro Photographers to use the location for free when their are no weddings, for their location shoots.





That is right. Free.





This allows you exposure and advertising to your property that will not cost you a dime. The Photographer's customers show up for thier shoot, become aware that you do weddings here, and word of mouth takes over.





I think this, in the end, will be far more profitable for you.





My 2 cents.




I like the answer about checking insurance first. All it takes is someone to trip and sprain an ankle or get one little scratch that a week later is infected to cause all sorts of problems for you.





insurance plus a nominal fee that you can live with.





also most states have a 'film commission' or some similar office in state government. they will have lists of productions that are actively searching for locations and people in your area.




Put your listing on Craigslist and come up with a ball park number. Gauge your future rates on the response you receive from the initial post. That is how I have worked in the past. Simple, quick and efficient. Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment